Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Open Government? Our School District?!!

Stefanie N has left a new comment on your post "Question....":

I would like to share a statement I made at Monday, March 22, 2010 BOE meeting

March 14-20, 2010 was Sunshine Week, a national initiative spearheaded by journalists about the public's right to know what its government is doing, and why. Sunshine Week seeks to enlighten and empower people to play an active role in their government at all levels, and to give them access to information that makes their lives better and their communities stronger.

When the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) was signed into national law by President Lyndon Johnson he said, “This legislation springs from one of our most essential principles: A democracy works best when the people have all the information that the security of the nation permits. No one should be able to pull the curtains of secrecy around decisions which can be revealed without injury to the public interest.”

The Plainview-Old Bethpage Central School District is currently working on and presenting budget information to the community through a series of Board of Education (BOE) and budget meetings.

The budget items for school textbooks were presented at the February 22, 2010 at Budget Meeting #1. The budget discussion took place after Public Participation so I did not have an opportunity to request a breakdown of the presented budget items. I spoke with Board President Lori Weinstein at the close of the meeting, and she suggested that I make my request during Public Participation at the next BOE meeting.

During Public Participation at the March 1, 2010 BOE meeting (Budget Meeting #2) I verbally requested a breakdown of the elementary and middle school textbook budget items. This request was positively received, and I was under the impression that I would receive the information.

At Budget Meeting #3 on March 8, 2010, having not yet received the information I requested, I inquired about the status of my request during Public Participation. I was told that the format was being changed and that I would receive the information on Friday of that week.

I received the District’s response to my request Friday, March 12, 2010. While itemizing textbooks, the information did not include any monetary breakdown of specific items so as to support the total number presented in the budget. In addition, an item in the Parkway School textbook budget that was specifically mentioned by Board President Lori Weinstein during BOE Budget Meeting #1 discussion was not included: Barron’s review book for the NYS 4th Grade Science Assessment. Ms. Weinstein questioned its inclusion in the budget. As I do not recall any vote or subsequent decision to take this item out of the budget, I expected to see this item included in the breakdown I requested.

On Tuesday, March 16, 2010 I called the office of the Assistant Superintendent for Business and Finance and expressed my questions about the breakdown I received to Mr. Ruf’s secretary. I asked what steps I should take to receive the budget breakdown I desired. I explained that last year I had made a similar request and after multiple requests I received an item by item breakdown of elementary school textbook budgets including the cost per item comprising the total budget code as well as the rationale for the purchase. Mr. Ruf’s secretary took my information and told me she would pass along my concerns and someone would get back to me.

Having not received any feedback and as I was in Central Administration on Thursday, March 18 for another purpose, I stopped by Mr. Ruf’s office and spoke with his secretary. She informed me that she had referred my question to Superintendent Dempsey’s office and seemed surprised that I hadn’t heard anything back. She walked me to the superintendent’s office, and it was decided that I should come back after my meeting which I did. At that time, I was curtly informed by staff that I would need to either put my request for information in writing to the BOE or file a FOIL (Freedom of Information Law written request).

I went home, wrote up a FOIL request and came back later that afternoon to file it with the district clerk.

Chagrined by the difficulty I was having in getting simple information, I contacted the Committee on Open Government for clarification of my rights. I spoke with Camille Jobin-Davis who thought that since the information I requested was available and clearly public that I should receive it within a reasonable amount of time, about a week.

On Saturday, March 20 I received a response to my FOIL request:

In accordance with FOIL, please be advised that the District is presently investigating whether the requested information exists and/or is accessible under FOIL and other relevant law.

We anticipate providing a response on or before April 15, 2010 twenty business days from the date of this acknowledgement, unless you are otherwise notified.

I am unsure of how this information could not exist since it seemed very clear that it was being referred to by BOE members during the discussion of the budget on February 22. Also, there would need to be something to support the dollars requested by each school, in order for its approval by the BOE. Last year, after multiple requests, I did receive this information and I would wonder why this information would not have been compiled for this year.

Budget Meeting # 4 is scheduled for tonight March 22, 2010. I have not yet received the budget information I requested. It’s been a month since school textbook budget items were initially discussed. Budget Meeting #5 / Budget Adoption is scheduled for April 6. I would hope that I would receive the information I requested by then but at that point it seems that the budget has been more or less finalized and there is limited opportunity for public input on this item. The response to my FOIL request mentions finding out whether or not the information is available and/or accessible by April 15, which is after the Budget Adoption.

I have done everything within my power to work collegially with the BOE to receive detailed information about the textbook budgets. The Freedom of Information Act is there, when needed, to provide an incentive for public officials and bodies to operate in the clear light of day. When the system is working properly, citizens shouldn’t need to invoke the Freedom of Information Act. They should be able to merely ask for, and receive, the public information they seek. In retrospect it seems that my mistake was trusting my verbal interaction and not invoking my Freedom of Information Act rights immediately.

Certainly there should have been little confusion about my request in that after multiple requests last year, I received the very same information I am currently requesting. In my view, this information has been purposely made difficult for me to obtain. Although the Board of Education may be legally within its rights to conduct itself in this manner, I find it disgraceful that any public documents, particularly those relating to the school budget, would be withheld from the public for any reason.

Response from Superintendent Dempsey was that the information would be available the next day.

21 comments:

  1. The Board seems to be acting in the most deceitful manner possible. Now I only want to know what they are covering up. So... What are they covering up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the years that I have been in Plainview , This is just plain politics with the BOE. They do what they want, when they want, and tell who they want to tell what. The only way we can change this is at the voting booth . Board members are up for re-election and the budget will be up for vote and I already know how I am voting on both. I have been to plenty of board meetings and it is sickening how they play games with our money, the policies that affect our children, and the whole mess with the labor contracts. I am sure if this was a corporation that they would of all been replaced at election time by the shareholders who would of voted them out

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since Dempsey came to town the BOE meetings start off with The Pledge Of Allegiance. Maybe Dempsey and the BOE should consider what the American flag represents and act accordingly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I applaud you Stefanie N
    You should really and seriosly consider running for the board. We need residents like yourself to make a change to this board that is needed. I am sure you would get positive feedback on this site if you decided to run

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like they gave you the royal run around. Did they apologize at least?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why is everything such a struggle? So much time has been spent on discussing a wellness policy - while it's important not to let our kids be overweight - but really why isn't the Board discussing math and ELA and other topics that affect our kids education? Why do middle school kids have to come back afterschool for ELA test prep? They don't do this other districts. Why isn't this part of the curriculum? My kid has to miss Hebrew school to go to this class. Maybe Stefanie N can address this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Parkway orders stuff that no one else gets, and the High School doesn't have books that they need. Who is in charge? Oh,...I forgot, each school just does what it wants because that's the way the administrators like it. As long as we don't know what's really in the budget,we can't even question it.-(and even then it doesn't seem to matter much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr. Dempsey delegates to people that he trusts will follow through appropriately. Oftentimes, they don't. This is a perfect example.

    Stefanie, you should run for the school board. I've noticed you're the only one with guts enough to use your name on this blog. You put us all to shame.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Theere should be more effort put into education then weellness programs. I am not against wellness programs ,but the parents are mostly responsible for the way children eat and what they eat. Just another smoke screen by the BOE. This is what the politicians do . They spend too much time on issues that they know everybody agrees and avoids/ignores/ and spins the real issues that are needed to be addressed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why wouldn't the high school have books they need? Can someone explain this?

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much of this year was wasted thanks to the teacher contract not being settled on time. It's hard to focus on education when you're spending all your time managing angry teachers and upset parents. This was a great P-OB welcome to the new principals at Old Beth and the middle school.

    ReplyDelete
  12. During public participation 2 parents brought up that certain AP high school classes require kids to buy books that are used for classwork and homework. They felt this is an unfair financial burden on the parents, that it might make kids not take the class if the parents can't afford to buy the books and that is might even be illegal to be asking parents to buy materials.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It always seems like the BOE makes important decisions before the meetings and they don't discuss things publicly. Public meetings are not supposed to be run this way. I'm not surprised that they would make it difficult to get information about the budget especially if the information shows inequities like it did last year. It's obvious that they'd rather hassle the person who is questioning what is going on instead of addressing the problem of substandard education and that our kids aren't being treated equally across the district. Stefanie kept on questioning the board for months to get ELA workbooks for Stratford 3rd and 4th graders after she saw that they were not in the budget for Stratford but were in the budget for every other elementary school. They told her they use other legally obtained xeroxes and she showed them pages of materials that were clearly copyright infringements. It's unbelievable that the board would let it ever get that far and not just make things equal for all students especially when Stratford ELA scores are pretty low. The Stratford kids did get the ELA workbooks this year and they are in the budget for next year but this wouldn't have happened without Stefanie fighting for it. Shame on the board of ed for making everything into a circus and not addressing obvious problems before parents have to become Ralph Nader School Edition.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So what you are saying is that (1)you submitted a freedom of information request, and (2)the district, in compliance with the law, sent you a written response informing you that they were reviewing the request and (3) they would respond within the statutory period? You are griping that they are complying with the letter of the law?

    ReplyDelete
  15. the last comment is probably coming from the administration building in POB. They are just playing the political games. They do not want the information public so they just call it an investigation so they can delay, delay, delay until after the voting is done. Very disappointing. IT is not a gripe at all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Griping? You don't get it.

    Whether information is shared through FOIL or in an open process is up to the BOE and school district.

    The budget schedule is set by the board - they should make sure that they provide information in a timely manner.

    But, no matter what, you don't hide information or money breakdowns with new reports that leave out controversial areas.

    What law does that follow? THe law of deception?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't get it? are you kidding?
    How about honesty, integrety, openess. Maybe maybe the board should try these tactics.
    This is a joke , we need board members who are willing to share information with residents not hide it and ignore us. They sit up around that table and ignore residents when they speak.Ask them how they justify the overbloated budget with all the raises they gave out? they will not answer. Then when the BOE decides to answer a question they just dance around the issue with out answering the question. You wonder how things like this happen in other school districts . When are parents and residents going to wake up? The board will only have themselves to blame when the budget gets voted down and BOE members running for re-election get voted out. Maybe we should file a complaint with the NY state Department of Education. That might wake up the BOE. Vote for Stefanie N. for the board. Shae has my Vote!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Been There Done ThatMarch 27, 2010 at 10:18 PM

    After reading all the rhetoric on this website of how the district needs change on the Board of Education I am surprised that only ONE person other than the current BOE members has taken out a petition to run for the board.

    People stop bitching and step up if you want real change RUN in the next election!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's not the board that's the problem. It's the administration. Their the ones with discrepancies in honesty and integrity.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How about we just keep voting the budget down year after year and never vote for an incumbent board member again. Ihave been there done that as well and it is all sickening

    ReplyDelete
  21. If the administration is the problem then the BOE is supposed to have the courage and integrity to get rid of the problem to which ist seems apparent that they have not

    ReplyDelete