Sunday, April 22, 2012

Another Hour of Testing? Another Hour Not Teaching and NOT Learning

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/post/10-year-old-i-want-to-know-why-after-vacation-i-have-to-take-test-after-test-after-test/2012/04/10/gIQA1sOz8S_blog.html#pagebreak

10-year-old: ‘I want to know why after vacation I have to take test after test after test’

This was written by Carol Corbett Burris, principal of South Side High School in New York. She was named the 2010 New York State Outstanding Educator by the School Administrators Association of New York State.

By Carol Corbett Burris
My 10-year-old neighbor stopped by for a visit. She likes to talk school with the “school lady’ whose dogs she loves to pet. From the look on her face I could tell that this was not going to be the usual school story.  She looked far too glum for that.
 “I want to know why after vacation I have to take test after test after test,” she asked. “I know what math I’m good at. My teacher knows the words I can’t spell. My mom knows I’m a fast reader…. So what’s the point?”
 I punted and answered a question with a question: “Why do you think the tests are important?”

2 comments:

  1. Let's do away with the madness of these unsignificant, poorly made standardized assessments!!!!
    http://www.smithsonianmag.com/people-places/Why-Are-Finlands-Schools-Successful.html?onsite_source=relatedarticles&onsite_medium=internallink&onsite_campaign=SmithMag&onsite_content=Why Are Finland's Schools Successful?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about the ridiculous 8th grade ELA Pineapple story? If that's not proof of how awful testing has become, I don't know what is.

    Why are kids subject to classroom tests, homework, etc, during the same time frames, even on the same days!!! as these mandatory state assessments? Isn't it enough testing in one week?

    ReplyDelete