Sunday, December 16, 2012

POB Response to Ct. Shooting Not Enough

I work in a neighboring school district. Within 24 hours of the horrific tragedy in Newtown, CT, all staff where I work received an email and automated phone call advising us of the tragedy and calling for mandatory early morning staff meetings on Monday morning to review safety procedures, codes, etc. The superintendent posted a notice on the district's website advising parents of our heightened security measures with links to various information relating to all of this. It's possible parents also received an automated call but I really don't know.

Why is it that we have heard nothing from the Plainview School District on this? Nothing has been posted on the website. No automated calls to the community. I'd feel better knowing the staff has been contacted but as of yet, I haven't heard anything about that.

3 comments:

  1. Editors Note,
    This was received by me on Sunday morning prior to the email blast that was received Sunday morning and the Sunday evening call from the Superintendent.
    I question why a letter was emailed on Friday from the superintendent to POB parents via the PTA. I find it distressing that the superintendent would agree to have such a global letter only go to those parents who have joined the PTA. I wasn't aware that in order to get important district news it was necessary to join the PTA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzala, I am the person who sent the first post on this thread. I was glad to have gotten the automated call and accompanying email on Sunday evening. I never received nor heard about anything being sent or called prior to that. Never heard anything from the PTA. Whatever email was sent through the PTA, I certainly never got it and yes, I'm a member. Whatever was done on Friday should have been posted on the district's website. PTA parents are volunteers. Although most, if not all, are wonderfully responsible people, since they are not employees of the school district, they should not be depended on to disseminate such serious information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would suggest calling the Superintendent or emailing her about your concerns re:communication. I did and received a call back by the end of the day stating that they would look into better procedures in the future pertaining to the dissemination of information. I for one feel confident and reassured in the way POB has handled this tragedy and am proud to be a member of this community.

    ReplyDelete