Monday, November 16, 2009

A Reply

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Give More Money and Maybe You Would Get More":

I beg to differ. We had children in elementary school and there was very little follow thru with regard to differential teaching. We offered to supply writing books for paragraphs instead of filling in the blanks for comprehension. Not acceptable. We offered workbooks for their level to be done as soon as they finished the in-class assignment. Not possible. We offered print outs from the computer with spider diagrams for comprehension to use instead of drawing pictures, for book reports. It took til the end of March for the teacher to actually ask for one to be done. I don't think money was needed, or lesson planning time or much time for marking was needed in any of these situations. Just a desire to help a child learn at their level. I think most parents would be happy to provide some materials for their children if it would be used. We were lucky enough to be able to spend thousands and thousands of dollars with special programs on the weekends to show that learning isn't about doing busy work, and that school can be exciting and fun. I think parents in the early grades today are probably getting the same lack of interest in differentiated teaching that we got.

ps. I understand teachers work hard, but in order just to keep a job today that's what is required. In today's economy very few people are getting raises and most everyone is grateful just to have a job. I find it rather amusing that the teachers think that showing up and doing their job entitles them to a raise, while the rest of us sit with our fingers crossed. Lastly, I know at my job, when I put in extra time, I hope it shows my boss that I want to be on the bottom of the cut list. I certainly don't sit around arguing for a raise before I consider giving more.

No comments:

Post a Comment