Sunday, October 10, 2010

Who Knows About Retirement Waivers?

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Ready For Your Next Tax Raise?":

Can a new thread be added for this posting?

Does anyone know anything about retirement waivers in New York State? Is our superintendent's license compliant with these guidelines?

Go to the NYS Department of Education website -
www.nysed.gov.
Click the icon for Parents.
Next, click Certification Verification.
Enter the superintendent's first and last name.

You'll find that his retirement waiver for the POBCSD issued on 7/1/07 expired on 6/30/08. It appears to have been reissued on 8/1/08 and then again expired on 12/31/08. The status indicated for both these waivers is "pending."

Is this something we should be concerned with? I know it is possible for online records to sometimes be outdated. I'm just curious if anyone knows more about this.

2 comments:

  1. If I'm not mistaken, after the age of 65, there is no limit to what a retiree collecting a NYS pension can earn. Therefore, if the superintendent is collecting both a pension and a salary and is over the age of 65, then there would no longer be a need for a waiver. I am not an attorney so I might be wrong about this. Just posting what my undertanding of this situation is. If anyone reading this knows the corresponding, please share with us.

    I must say that in addition to the public money that I'm assuming is paying his pension, the POBCSD is providing nice six figure compensation package as well. Not sure how I feel about my tax dollars paying anyone to "double dip." I'm curious too to know what others in the community think about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Mr. Dempsey was a strong leader and not a person who skirts issues or cowers to the PCT, it might make it tolerable. If our school district met the standards of neighboring districts such as Syosset or Jericho and not farther away from those standards I may not mind either. Unfortunately, he is not delivering for us and is not commanding the significant money he is making. But as with everything else here, the people who actually pay towards the salaries of our educators have little or no say as to what happens.

    ReplyDelete