Friday, October 2, 2009

We're Mad as Hell and We're Not Going To Take it Anymore!!

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Applause for POB Board, Embarrassed for the Union...":

The teachers are lucky they have a job, a good paying one at that and should be grateful given the state of the economy. If they don't like it here, let them go teach in the inner city; maybe then they'll realize how good they have it.

As for using our children as a bargaining chip - it's DISGUSTING!!! I don't know how they can live with themselves for doing that.

In the business world, if you want a raise, you have to show that you deserve it first. Well, why don't teachers have to do the same? Where is the differentiated teaching within the classroom so that all the kids' needs are met? Why is my kids' school always the one with the lowest scores on par with a district such as Roosevelt? Teachers - show me that you can teach - then maybe when I can afford it, I'll be more open to your raise request. Right now, I don't see how you deserve one.

Publish this comment.

2 comments:

  1. My son noticed his teacher and all the other teachers at elementary school were wearing black and a button that said Contract Now. He asked his teacher what was going on and his teacher said that it was Teacher Day.

    Later in the week my son told me the teachers were still wearing the buttons. I asked him what he thought of that and he replied, "It's embarassing." I asked him why and he said "C'mon mom, you wouldn't see a rock star performing at a concert wearing a button that says More Money."

    While it's complimentary that he compares his teacher to the many rock stars he has seen in concert, I get his point.

    I've been using this controversy as an opportunity to teach my son about unions, labor, freedom of speech and the importance of listening to both sides of a story, even if you disagree.

    I'm not making any statement in this post about how the contract negotiations should be settled other than to wonder why an adult conversation between the Board of Ed and the PCT union is playing itself out in the classroom. It's like when a couple divorces and takes their dislike for each other out on their kids.

    I am teaching my child to respect anybody's right to dress how they want, wear whatever message they'd like on their lapel. But I'm curious about how teachers and administration would feel if parents sent their children to school wearing messages like "Read to Me" or "ELA Prep Now."

    The teacher contract may take a while to settle. Matching outfits and buttons shouldn't affect contract negotiations since the ultimately the fidiciary responsibility of the BOE is to the community taxpayers and contractual decisions affect taxes long term.

    As for me, I don't mind if my child's teacher is dressed in black, purple or a gorilla suit. I don't care if walls aren't decorated, if classroom parties are eliminated. I just want my child coming home every day a little more educated than he was when I sent him to school in the morning. That's all. I am confident that the BOE members can handle contract negotiations. This discussion should be in the background of my child's education, not the forefront.

    ReplyDelete