Saturday, October 3, 2009

Union NYC Teacher Responds:

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "We're Mad as Hell and We're Not Going To Take it A...":

I have been a teacher for 17 for the NYC DOE. I have worked without a contract for years on end only to finally get one that expired soon after. I went into teaching for the joy of teaching and the rewards of helping children, not a hefty paycheck.
This October the NYC teachers union contract is up for renewel. However, we have been told by our union not to expect anything. The City of NY has no money to give out pay raises due to the economic climate.
Therefore, if I as a teacher can still work with my students, maintain my job status, and work without a contract, maybe the Plainview teachers can too. They should try it !

Lastly, the Plainview Congress of Teachers sent a letter to the American Federation of Teachers union members asking for support from myself and other union members. I find it a real smack in the face to ask me for support when I am not getting a pay raise anytime soon, but want myself, as a tax payer, to pay more in taxes so these teachers can get a raise. Tell me who is getting the short end of the stick?!

2 comments:

  1. I am also a teacher in the NYC school system, and I too have always been frustrated by the contract negotiation process. I, too, went into teaching for the joy of teaching, and not expecting the "hefty paycheck" of $250,000 and more that my friends with similar education in private industry command. However, I do expect to earn a fair and decent living that is comparable to other teachers in the surrounding area, and commensurate with my education, credentials and experience.

    Last year, as a teacher in New York City public school system, I was paid over $100,000 per year, base salary. This did not include coaching or summer pay for work outside of my regular 10 month school year.

    While you are correct that contract negotiations often drag on far too long,you have omitted the fact that New York City teachers have in recent memory always been granted a contract that provided increases of over 3 percent per year, and usually substantially more. The two most recent contracts have provided for approximately 5% per year increases.

    The information that you have received from your union is in sharp contrast to the information I have recently received from my union representative. Pattern bargaining has already been received by DC37 providing increases of 4% per year for the next two years, and our teachers have been told by union representatives we will be receiving the same, and the deal is close to being finalized.

    So breathe easier, NY City teacher. It is likely you will be receiving your raise soon, and it is likely to be a well deserved 4%. That will put my NY City teacher salary at about $105,000, with a master's degree and 30 additional credits... when most teachers in Plainview have more advanced degrees. Perhaps Plainview residents can't afford to provide salaries as high as the $130,000 in neighboring Jericho or Syosset. But knowing their counterparts in New York City are being paid $105,000 with fewer credentials and less education helps put the Plainview figures in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. to the nyc teacher who claims to make over 100k per year, you are so full of it. face it you're a plainview scum teacher posing.

    ReplyDelete