Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Try and Find a Corporate Job....

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "These Tactics are Being Used Because the Board Isn...":

The only thing the board should be blamed for is offering the teachers any raise at all. They are overpaid. If the teachers feel they are so underpaid then they should start sending their resume out now. The reason they will not is because there are thousands of teachers that would replace them in a second and be happy. The teachers should try to find a corporate job for the same pay they receive now and the same hours. They will not find one because nobody out side long island teachers get paid like that. The teachers are overpaid and spoiled.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a parent and not exactly in favor of teacher raises that taxpayers can't afford but in fairness I think teachers have a hard job - the hours may not be as long as an office job and there are many holidays - but it's intense. You're "on" all the time and you can't just make a personal call, send an email or disappear and walk away to get a break. Most rooms are not airconditioned - awful for both teachers and students. As far as overpayment, LI teachers make more than teachers nationwide but many of the same jobs residents have would pay a lot less if they weren't in NYC or LI also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do you think the teachers are overpaid? Is there so much anger in you that you cannot see the good in things? Your educational system in Plainview is at the top of the rankings - not only for New York state - but also in Nassau County. It's not that the teachers in POB think that they are underpaid relative to EVERYONE. However, if you compare the salaries of the teachers in your community to those within the rest of Nassau county - you would (should) be surprised to learn that the teachers in Uniondale and Hempstead make significantly more than those in Plainview. If you want your community to be comparable to Syosset and Jericho, then why shouldn't your teachers be paid at similar rates to those teachers? If I had chosen to work in the corporate world, my salary would be significantly higher than it is now. My husband tries to convince me to go into a different field so that I can earn what I'm worth. However, I LOVE my job. I LOVE teaching children! I LOVE encouraging kids to do their best! I LOVE sharing my enthusiasm for learning with the kids that live in Plainview-Old Bethpage (even when they continuously ask me "when will I ever use this?"). Please do not fault my profession for earning a good living while enriching your children. We are not a mean bunch - but rather a devoted, hard-working group of professionals who should not be at the bottom of the county's pay-scale.

    ReplyDelete