Saturday, November 28, 2009

Teach Every Child, Then I'll Support the Union

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Why is the Bar So Low?":

I too have a gifted elementary age child. Last year, his teacher connected with him, knew how to challenge him and provided instruction that met his needs as well as others of different levels of ability. This year the experience is sadly just the opposite. The instructional slant is in the direction of the those who achieve below average, leaving my son (and perhaps others) bored and unchallenged. Upon my initiation, she now gives him "challenging" work to complete but offers no instruction to match. It's almost as if he's supposed to teach himself.

She's a sweet young teacher who I truly believe has only good intentions. She's not trained nor is she (or the school) equipped to successfully reach all students.

I strongly believe every child deserves a superior education that meets his/her individual needs. There are other districts that fulfull this goal much more successfully than Plainview does. I've seen it.

When the school district as a whole takes measures provides instruction comparable to Syosset where I used to live that does not ignore any segment of the student population, I'll be happy to support the teacher's union.

No comments:

Post a Comment