Thursday, October 22, 2009

Dear Morty Please Listen to Reason

Olga Portnoy has left a new comment on your post "PCT Response to Super's Letter":

Dear Morty,
You are probably getting a lot of "hate" emails and letters - this is not one of them. I am addressing you as a parent in the district. I happen to see your point of view. I am a parent of 5 daughters and a huge part of me is from the old school. My oldest is 28, my youngest 10. I believe in respect for teachers, principals and any educator. One of my daughters happens to be an English teacher in NYC. I do believe that teachers are underpaid for the amount of work they do. However, I must plead with you to please realize that this is not the right time anymore for a better negotiation. This whole thing has turned sour. The parents in our district are now furious with you and the worst part, children, especially the younger ones think that their teachers don't like them anymore. I don't think this is what you want and I know you would love to hear, "ok, Morty, we give in and you can have what you want".....but, it doesn't look good.
Please accept the offer made and stop all the nonsense....the black clothing, picketing, put the teachers back to work like they are supposed to - Do you have children? perhaps grandchildren? is this what you would want for them?
I happen to know too many families whose husbands have lost their jobs and have depleted their life savings because they have been unable to find proper jobs....... This is where the parents are coming from......yes, the teachers of POB are lucky to have their jobs!!!!! And you too Mr. Morty.
All we ask, is that you think about it deeply and ask yourself if perhaps you can address the issue later on, at a better time, take the offer and accept it graciously and then perhaps the next time you have to negotiate, you can be seen in a different light.
Best wishes to you and to all the teachers.
Olga Portnoy

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your view. The only part I disagree with is in the comparison to your daughter teaching in NYC. Having many friends/relitives that do as well, I have to say they are the ones underpaid and who work beyond what is expected. Our teachers are paid extremely fairly and from a house hold down to one parent working due to layoffs and a $1700.00 monthly healthcare cost I think they should start looking at the reality of our economic situation. Most of all, they need to understand these are kids and to make them victims is beyond our comprehension. However, I will say not EVERY teacher has given into this insanity and that is so incredibly appreciated. If only the others would follow and maybe they could earn our trust back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please negotiate with the teachers! They deserve it! If, for some reason, you cannot give them what they want/deserve right now, then agree to something. My girls LOVE school and it is because of the teachers!

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete