Thursday, October 22, 2009

Mr. Rosenfeld I Live in Plainview and I am a Teacher

Dear Mr. Rosenfeld,

I would like to express my feelings about teachers, because I am a teacher. We are not valued as other professionals are. We work hard and deserve to have the utmost respect. Many times we have to give things up or add more work hours to get a fair raise. We must be certified and keep that in good standing, have a Master's Degree and go to yearly workshops and school professional days. I get it, I sincerely do, however, I also get the other side as first and foremost I am a mother. My husband and I bought our house in Plainview 4 years ago knowing the wonderful schools you have and the outstanding education they would receive. We knew financially things would be tight, but thought that would be temporary. The last year has thrown a wrench in our financial picture and savings because of the economy. I pray all the time that my husband doesn't come home and tell me he lost his job. He has no job security, no contract, and hasn’t received a raise wither, he also has no guarantee other than putting 10+ year at his company, which means nothing these days.

Please consider negotiating with the BOE and coming to some kind of agreement. Things may be different in two years when the next contract would be up, then you can review the economic times and make decisions for that time period. Please understand that I am conflicted too, but my children deserve the same quality of education that they have had in the past. Please consider how many people are being affected by the economy and to ask so much is absurd. Please think about how the children are being caught in the middle that is so unfair. Please think about the outstanding relationship the parents have always had with the teachers in this town, and how this fight will sour us. Please Mr. Rosenfeld, please just listen to our outpouring and help us.

Thank you for your time and I am confident you will do the right thing for everyone involved and you will end this peacefully and fairly.

Sincerely,

Shari Krinsky

1 comment: