Sunday, April 11, 2010

Parkway Programs: Why Aren't Comparable Programs at Other Schools?

Stefanie Nelkens has left a new comment on your post "When Will District Raise the Level of Instruction?...":

Did you see the article in this week's Plainview Herald about the month-long medieval learning festival at Parkway School? All classes in all grades participated and it concluded with an author vist from Jane Yolen. What a great idea and concept. Kudos to Mrs. Hershkowitz and her staff for putting together a program above and beyond the standard curriculum and enhancing the cultural literacy of their students.

I'm a Stratford parent. While I was happy to read about this great program it saddened me that my child did not have the benefit of the excitement of a school-wide (or even class) program to introduce him to excitement of the history and legends of King Arthur. I am sure he would have enjoyed it.

In comparison, to my knowledge, my child hasn't yet participated in an author or genre study as outlined in the Elementary School Parent Handbook (suggested authors for 4th grade are Karen Hesse and Roald Dahl, genres are memoir, personal narrative, non-fiction, poetry non-rhyming using figurative language).

1 comment:

  1. I agree! It is a real travesty that their is such in-equality amongst our elementary shools in Plainview!

    ReplyDelete