Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Damage is Done, Now Let's Fix It

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "All Comments are Posted":

Did I miss anything? Parents picketing against parents? I think that the entry that you referred to was about doing something (I.E. parents informational picketing) as opposed to getting writers cramp typing on this site. If the teachers can do "informational picketing" to push a point, the parents should be also. As far as media attention or property values lowered, don't you think that what's been going on in this district has already done that? Yeah sure, Plainview, great school district. The teachers wear black as in mourning and buttons that say contract now. Drive by Parkway. The teachers all have bright orange signs in their car windows telling the world about what's going on here. And as a special treat, your kids will be reminded that they have been drawn into a contract war by their teachers. ANYTHING that is not in the current contract goes out thei window (I.E. Stratford Rd basketball game). Not to mention that the buildings and grounds for the most part are out of 1956 with a coat of cheap paint over it. Yeah, sure..I would want to move here. If this goes on for an extended time, this WILL get media attention...I think everybody remembers East Meadow...I think the damage is done. Don't put your head in the sand. There are problems here.

2 comments:

  1. Our teachers and I quote ""If the teachers can do "informational picketing" to push a point,"" are NOT picketing for information-If anyone wants information they can obtain it through the board or giving Mr. Rosenberg a call (you decide which route you want to take). Having us picketing outside of a school was to show unity against the teachers-I'm not sure about you, but I want to have a good relationship with the school community (teacher, principal, etc). I do not discuss this in front of my child and my child has not repeated anything to me (and i have asked him certain questions). The parents picketing was in no way "informational picketing"-we all know that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There certainly are problems here. A school board that refuses to negotiate with their teachers' union in order to facilitate a contract. The teachers are the reason that this school district functions well on a daily basis; not programs, curriculum, or any amount of PTA events. Those activities add to the teaching, but without a commited professional to prepare the curriculum, manage the students, and create an exciting learning enviornment the schools would not be able to produce such a high level of achievement.

    ReplyDelete