Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Why the Low Standards?

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Can Plainview Get It's Act Together?":

Forget the textbooks!- I get classwork home that is checked, but has the wrong answers! If I ask my child do they know why it is wrong, they don't. If a teacher is so casual about checking work, how will they know if a child has mastered the concept? This is the second time this has happened on this concept alone. Yesterday, I was forced to sit down and teach the lesson myself. One of my other children hands in work with cross outs, doodles,shapes, and misspellings, when I request that the work should be organized and neat, my child says it's not a problem, cause another kid in class marks it. There doesn't seem to be any instruction on organization of work. In school my child is not getting the message that it is important to hand in work that is neat and organized. Penmanship or pencil holding is never addressed, and it seems that a general low standard is accepted and is the norm. What seem like basic learning skills are being ignored,(like straight memorization of math facts).Is this an example of our terrific school district. Am I alone with these problems that shouldn't be?

1 comment:

  1. Somehow I don't think this kind of thing goes on In Jericho or Syosset. I think the standard is much higher.It has nothing to do with how smart the students are, or how much money they pay the teachers. It is an overall expectation that is set and monitored by the administrators.

    ReplyDelete