Saturday, December 12, 2009

A Great Way to Teach Children About Compromise

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Don't Complain":

I am a teacher at the high school.

I LOVE my job and I feel that I am lucky to be able to teach in such a wonderful district.

I strive to get excellent results and I plan my lessons accordingly to achieve that goal.

I respect my students and they respect me.

I never bring any negativity from contract negotiations (or lack thereof) into my classroom.

I have written college recommendations ever since I became a member of the faculty. I am honored when one of my students asks me to write on their behalf and I take great pride in writing the best letters that I can. I have never turned away a senior who has asked me to do him/her this favor.

I give remediation to any student who requests it (past or present) and I am available more often than not.

I take pride in my job and I get offended when inaccuracies are reported or truths are distorted. I feel insulted when people attack my profession. It is ridiculous to think that any profession (doctor, lawyer, businessman, teacher) is exempt from "bad eggs". However, I know for a fact that the good ones outnumber the bad ones by a considerable margin!

My job does not begin at 7:15 and end at 2:23. I am constantly grading papers so that my students can benefit from prompt feedback. I must also spend time (usually at home) to create tests and worksheets. There is not enough time in the school day to contact parents, talk to students' special education teachers and guidance counselors, attend case conferences and CSE's, xerox dittos AND complete the previously mentioned tasks. Don't misunderstand me - I am not complaining, but rather stating facts.

I truly feel that the majority of the parents in this community value their children's education. We completed the second of POBJFK's parent-teacher conferences last night and EVERY parent that I met with was friendly, pleasant and responsive. There was no discussion about contracts and nobody left my room dissatisfied.

My wish for the new year is a settled contract. This lack of cooperation has gone on for too long. We need to set a good example for our students and show them that "where there is a will, there is a way". What better way to teach children about compromise than to show them that a settlement can be reached. It's time to have both sides sit down with the intent of hammering this out. Let's put forth the best of efforts and put this all behind us.

2 comments:

  1. From a teacher at POB middle school I couldn't have said this better!!! by the way its 12:45 am and I just got finish doing some grading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a true professional. I appreciate your comments and agree with you. I hope that when my children reach the high school they encounter more teachers like you. I was at the board of ed meeting when the teachers spoke. Unfortunately the majority of those that spoke did not present themselves this way. If they had I think my prospective after the meeting may have been a bit different. Perhaps you need to speak with some of your colleagues (and your union head) about dealing with this situation with class and dignity like you have.

    ReplyDelete