Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Teachers, Look In the Mirror and See What We See

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Teacher Says; Parent Was Disrespectful":

A letter to the teachers:
I was not at last nights board meeting but I think you need to really listen to and acknowledge the feelings and frustration of the parents in this district.

I understand that a great many hard working teachers feel they are entitled to a raise. The primary issue is not whether you deserve it but that the district and this community cannot afford it. By fighting and turning down what was offered you basically said to the parents of this district "I know that some of you are struggling economically but we do not care". I don't know but believe that is what that parent is reacting to. Could you imagine someone going into their bosses office and saying that firm across the street isn't hiring but the person doing my exact job over there is getting paid more so I should also. Another reality is that not all the teachers in this district are "good and hard working". I had one k teacher who taught on a pre k level, she was a lovely person, but taught nothing. I had another son at the k center who had a teacher who had been there for over 15 years was so burnt out she did nothing but degrade the children and yell all day. My third son, is there now and thank fully this one deserves the raise. Where do you think the money is going to come from. My children are not getting Christmas presents this year bc my husband has lost his job. How are we supposed to feel when these teachers wear black in all my childs photos, don't invite me into parties and are still getting paid for these actions bc they do have a secure well paying job. What about your neighbors whose houses are in foreclosure bc of the recession. We cannot afford the tax increases that will result with your raises and pensions bc of the inevitable state cuts and we have no where else to go. Just bc we are driving Mercedes, Acura's and whatever else do not underestimate the economic plight of this community. Please look yourselves in the mirror and try to see what we see.
Oh, and the reason me and my friends did not go to the board meeting was bc we all do believe that the teachers would take it out on our children. If you are insulted by this then instead of reacting maybe you need to take that second look in the mirror and ask why we believe this. I applaud the parent who had the guts to go to the meeting. I hope he runs for the board in the spring that is who need.

No comments:

Post a Comment