Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Let Me Give You Another View

I was there. Let me tell you what I saw. -Teachers justifying their right to a raise, (When there are no other jobs available to them)
I heard teachers with children in the district exclaim what great teachers each one had.-No surprise there.
I heard teachers who work after they leave the building and run extra curricular activities for a very small additional sum.

Let me give you another view.
-I work in the private sector. I have been at my job for more than 20 years. I have gotten certifications on my own to make me a more valuable employee. I do not get a raise for this nor does anyone pay for the additional education- it helps me to keep my job. I work from nine to six, or seven or even eleven. Sometimes I have to work after dinner once I get home til ten or later and sometimes on weekends. None of this gets me a bonus or overtime monies. This is a white color job, and I give it my best no matter.
What my employer asks of me, is part of having the job. Last year I was layed off and my present job pays about 25% less than my previous employment, and yet, I am thankful to have it.
Teaching is an important profession and those that chose it know what the parameters of the job are. So I am curious why the teachers feel the need to point out all the special things they do that is a usual part of their job. Don't get me wrong. What you each do in the classroom is much appreciated and important and sometimes amazing,but that is what the job is about.
I assure you I never get a child's smiling face when I complete a job. -Mostly I get another client who has a new already late deadline.
I am not complaining, nor should you be, but I also wonder how in this economy,the teachers can feel comfortable telling their bosses that they don't have to do stuff, and that they deserve more. From those of us outside the union, our impression is one should be grateful just to have employment.The board agreed to give you a raise in a time when unemployment is at 10% high and (that is not including those like me who are underemployed)and you declined to take it, that is laughable.
I know three sets of parents who feel they are not treated equitably by our district because they spoke out in prior board meetings. I remain annonymous because I have seen this first hand. I applaud the woman who spoke out, regardless of what she said, she took a big chance.
I heard teachers last night referring to the designer handbag carrying taxpayers in Plainview. Firstly many of them by now have lost their jobs entirely to the banking collapse. Secondly this is the minority of Plainview a town with many more small three bedroom capes than McMansions.
While I agree that the board made the first mistake by not initiating the negotiations before the contract was up, I must also chastise the teachers for thinking that our town can support a raise at this time. Our taxes like every other year will go up again next year and this is regardless of the strike's outcome. -We will assuredly have a reduction in funds from the state as well as a huge deficit in funds to cover guaranteed pensions.
This fight has gotten ugly with bad decisions on both sides. However, Plainview is no longer a town of unlimited discretionary funds and while I appreciate that teachers work hard and deserve a raise, they need also to realize that taxpayers who arent' getting one, don't have it to give.

No comments:

Post a Comment